Terry spent this week working on a side project in another town. This morning he enlisted my help to move a rusty 600-pound boiler, definitely the adventure. But other than that, I’ve stayed at Colin’s house working all alone. Once again it’s nice to know I was 100% responsible for the progress made each day.
The siding continues. With a fresh supply of materials, I finished the Barn’s south gable end and started paving up the north end. Like every other wall, the bottom course was the trickiest, because the lines had to be level and match the finished side around the corner. Unlike every other wall, this time BOTH adjacent sides were already finished… and naturally, their lines didn’t match. No surprise really that somewhere around the perimeter of the house we got off level by a few quarters of an inch. Fortunately, the way the courses lock together gives me some play in their height, and by the time I made it over the doorways I had everything in line.
I also completed the top course of siding on the Barn’s east and west façades. Since the siding dies into a wide J-channel on top, there’s no way to nail the top course to the wall, at least not without leaving the nails exposed and visible. Instead, I put a bead of glue in the bottom hook, effectively adhering the top course to the penultimate course.
On the soffit front, the Barn is complete. I had to knock down the meanest, nastiest wasp nest of them all atop the north gable end, but that wasp should be glad now to not be built into the house. Then I got started on soffit above the front porch, quickly running out of F-channel. The materials monster strikes again.